Quick sms reservation
+94 71 3729595
+94 77 9531074
holiday travel sri lanka

Greentree Holiday Tours As Your Sri Lankan &
Maldives Holiday Travel Operator

ROMANTIC HONEYMOON
TOUR PACKAGES
Quick Reservation
     
Full Name *  
Contact Number *  
Email *  
Type of Holiday  
Type of Travel  
Departure Arrival  
Message *  
 
 
   
Tour Travel in the Light of Buddhism
Tour - image

Buddhism in Sri Lanka
Dates back 2nd century before Christ Introduced by Mahindra son of Indian Emperor Asoka in the regain of Sri Lanka King Devanampiyatissa. A sapling of the Buddha Tree, under which Buddha achieved enlightenment, was also brought to the country. It was planted at Anuradhapura, today placed as the most sacred town in the island. It is held in high regarded by the Buddhists.

Advent of Buddhism
Arrival of Theravada Buddhism from 3rd century BC was a formative time in the history of Sri Lanka. Indian Emperor Asoka achieved success in his missionary efforts. People of Sri Lanka have remained Buddhists till date. They are still the followers of Theravada, the simple form of Buddhism. Sculpted demigods are absent in the sacred temple at Kandy. Tooth of Buddha is the only holy thing here.

Buddhist Kingdoms
Buddhist kingdoms flourished from 3rd BC to 13th AD. Ruling family of Anuradhapura embraced Buddhism in 3rd century BC. The town became the first Buddhist centre of Sri Lanka. Colossal dome-shamed stupas, also called dagobas, characterized the place. These stupas housed sacred relics.

Please on Tour it’s a requirement you wear white clothes

Buddhist and Pail University is located in Maharagama - www.bpu.ac.lk

Green Tree Holidays will donate US $ 05 from each single person who travels towards development of Buddhism in Sri Lanka.

Day 01

Night Stay

Pick up from the Air port as per arrival Travel in A/C driven car  van , coach or luxury bus depending on the number of persons travelling with English speaking Chauffer or your own language driven to a star class hotel on the Beach or Town close to the air port relax as per arrival time.

Day 02

Travel to Yapahuwa ( No Night Stop)

  

Morning proceed to Kingdom of Dambadeniya Yapahuwa located about 130 km from Colombo 3 hours drive is one of lankas ancient Capital, The rock fortress complex a side huge 90 metered high boulder built in 1272—1284 by king Buvanekabahu he original name of this Buddhist Heritage site is Yapawwa though now often called as Yapahuwa which is a kind of distortion of its genuine etymological sense.

Yapahuwa is a huge rock fortress. The fort palace & town were built sheltering on the south side of the crag, protected by two ramparts & a moat. The ramparts form a rough semicircle, the ends of which join the foot of the high steep-sided rock.


The fortification

  

The fortification consists of an earthen rampart about 20 feet high & half a mile long on which a brick wall once stood. A moat with three causeways across it to the three gates ran around this rampart.

The fortification  of a stone wall averaging 12 feet in height & about 500 yards long with a moat outside it & with two gates. The homes of the ordinary people would have been between the outer & inner walls while king's palace, administrative buildings & of course then Temple of the Tooth were within the inner wall.

Ornamental stone ruin stairway  
the site’s ruin is the marvelous ornamental stone stairway, climbs with Maya-like steepness up to the palace. The stairway originally comprised of the three flights of stone stairs. The lowest one has disappeared & been replaced by modern cement stairs. Its top flight is a riot of decoration of high quality craftsmanship. Statues of elephants, makara torans (dragon arches); dwarfs, goddesses & pair of goggle-eyed stone lions (one appears on the nation's ten-rupee note) flank the stairs, which are topped by a finely carved doorway & windows. Panels around the base & sides of each window are embellished with stone carvings of dancers & musicians, one playing a Kandy and drum-the oldest pictorial record of Sri Lanka's most famous musical instrument.

Lion Terrace
finally at the top of the stairway is the impressive & harmoniously conceived doorway that once led into the Temple of the Tooth. There's very little to see now except a couple of brick foundations & a few pillars. However the view from hereon is wonderful: the flat plains far below dotted with huge, saw-toothed mountains.

Small museum
there’s a small museum just to the right of the site, set in one of a pair of gorgeous Kandy an-style wooden beams separated by a quaint bell tower. Exhibits include some fine stone windows from the top of the stairway, intricately latticed in quasi-Arabian style. One of the window frames is now exhibited in the.

 
Cave temple           
Behind the museum is a fascinating cave temple (restored in 1886) that contains some 13th century frescoes. The reposition of images across a geometric grid also appears in ancient Buddhist sites in India, such as Ajanta, inland from Mumbai, & Alchi in Ladakh. Also in the temple are wooden Buddha images &, interestingly, one image made of bronze.

Travails of The Sacred Tooth Relic while at Yapahuwa
In 1272, King Bhuvenakabahu transferred the capital to Yapahuwa from Polonnaruwa in the face of marauding Dravidian invasions from South India, bringing the Sacred Tooth Relic with him. The move proved to be of little avail. Following the death of King Bhuvenakabahu in 1284, the Pandyans of South India invaded Lanka once again, and succeeded in capturing Sacred Tooth Relic too. Following its capture, Yapahuwa was largely abandoned & inhabited by Buddhist monks & religious ascetics. The capital was moved to Kurunagala.

While an envoy was being sent to India by Emperor Kublai Khan of China, with an offer to exchange the Tooth of Relic for a fabulous treasure, King Parakrambahu the third of Lanka himself at the Pandyan court in South India retrieved the Sacred Tooth Relic by means of negotiations in 1288. King Parakarbahu returned to Lanka with to the immense relief & great rejoicing of the Sinhalese. The relic was enshrined in a newly built temple at the new capital of Kurunagala.

The Chinese connection
during the brief period in which Yapahuwa was the capital of Lanka, it had close connections with China. Among the evidence are finest Chinese ceramics, a large number of celadon pottery parts, 1310 Chinese coins including the 12 Chinese coins found during the excavations by H. C. P. Bell, the first archeological commissioner of Ceylon in 1949.

Ongoing excavations
some strong evidence of pre-historic settlement is gathered from six acres of flat land on the Yapahuwa rock. It has pre-historic (from 1000 BC to 500 BC) or early historic human settlements & it is the earliest such urban settlement be found on a rock.

                        

Day 03 & 04

Travel to Anuradhapura (2 night stay)

The sacred city of Anuradhapura, now in picturesque ruins, was once a major center of Sri Lankan civilization. The fascinating ancient ruins include huge bell-shaped stupas built of small sun-dried bricks, temples, sculptures, palaces, and ancient drinking-water reservoirs.

History :

Although people may have lived in this area since as early as the 10th century BC, Anuradhapura became a great city after the arrival of a cutting from the Bodhi Tree ('tree of enlightenment'), the Buddha's fig tree, in the 3rd century BC. The sacred branch was brought to Sri Lanka by Sanghamitta, the founder of an order of Buddhist nuns.

Anuradhapura went on to become a Ceylonese political and religious capital (4th century BC) that flourished for 1,300 years. In its prime, Anuradhapura ranked alongside Nineveh and Babylon in its colossal proportions—its four walls, each 16 miles (26 km) long, enclosing an area of 256 square miles (663 km²)—in the number of its inhabitants, and the splendor of its shrines and public buildings.

The city also had some of the most complex irrigation systems of the ancient world. Most of the great reservoir tanks still survive today, and some many be the oldest surviving reservoirs in the world.

After an invasion in 993 AD, Anuradhapura was permanently abandoned. For centuries, the site lay hidden in the jungle. Rediscovered by the British in the 19th century, Anuradhapura became a Buddhist pilgrimage site once again.

The revival of the city of Anuradhapura began in earnest in the 1870s. The modern city (population 40,000) is a major road junction of northern Sri Lanka and lies along a railway line. The headquarters of the Archaeological Survey of Ceylon is in Anuradhapura.

Today, the splendid sacred city of Anuradhapura, with its palaces, monasteries and monuments, draws many Buddhist pilgrims and visitors.

There is much to see at Anuradhapura, including the sacred Bodhi tree, eight major palaces, monasteries and monuments.


The Sri Maha bodhiya is perhaps the oldest living tree in the world. Around 245 BC, Sanghamitta Theri brought with her a branch of the Bodhi Tree under which the Buddha attained enlightment. The tree was planted on a high terrace about 21 feet (6.5 m) above the ground and surrounded by railings. Today, the tree is one of the most sacred relics in Sri Lanka, respected by Buddhists all over the world. A wall was built around the tree during the reign of King Kirthi Sri Rajasingha, to protect it from wild elephants. One of the wonders of the ancient world, its dome signifies the doctrine represents the truths ultimate Buddhist goal of enlightenment.

 
Ruwanwelisaya -
After defeating the Tamil king Elara, King Dutugemunu of Sri Lanka built this magnificent stupa. The stupa is known as Ruwanwelisaya, Mahathupa, Swarnamali Chaitya and Rathnamali Dagaba. The compound is supported by stone elephants, and the surrounding wall is decorated with 1,900 figures of elephants - 475 on each side. Successive kings added to the palace over the years.  

  
Thuparamaya -
Thera Mahinda himself introduced Theravada Buddhism and also chetiya worship to Ceylon. At his request King Devanampiyatissa built Thuparamaya in which was enshrined the collarbone of the Buddha and is considered as the first dagaba built in Sri Lanka, after the introduction of Buddhism. This chetiya was built in the shape of a heap of paddy. This dagaba was destroyed from time to time. During the reign of King Agbo II it was completely destroyed and the King restored it. What we have today is the construction of the dagaba, done in 1862 AD. As it is today, after several renovations, in the course of the centuries, the monument has a diameter of 59 ft (18 m), at the base. The dome is 11 feet 4 inches (3.45 m) in height from the ground, 164½ ft (50.1 m) in diameter. The compound is paved with granite and there are 2 rows of stone pillars round the dagaba. During the early period vat adage was built round the dagaba.  

  
Lovamahapaya
is situated between Ruvanveliseya and Sri Mahabodiya. It is also known as the Brazen Palace or Lohaprasadaya. In ancient times the building included the refectory and the uposathagara. (Uposatha house). There was also a simamalake where the sangha assembled on poya days to recite the formula of the confessional]. The famous Lohaprasada built by King Dutugemunu described as an edifice of nine storeys, was a building of this class. One side of the building was 400 ft (120 m) in length. As the roof was covered with tiles made of bronze, this was known as the Brazen Palace. There are 40 rows, each row consisting of 40 stone pillars and a total of 1600 stone pillars were used for the building. It is believed that it took 6 years for the construction of the building and the plan was brought from the heavens. The building was completely destroyed during the reign of King Saddhatissa.

  
Abhayagiri Dagaba -
King Valagamba ascended the throne in 103 AD. He waged war with the Tamils and was defeated. When he fled, a Nigantha named Giri shouted words of derisive mockery at him. Later the king collected an army attacked the Tamils by slaying the last of their leaders, and recovered the throne he had lost. It is said that he demolished Nigantaramaya (the temple of the Niganthas) and built the Abhayagiri Vihara in the same premises. Shortly after this event, the monks of the Mahavihara took disciplinary action against one of the bhikkus of the Abhayagiri Vihara, for violating a rule of the vinaya. Thereafter the bhikkhus of the Abhayagiri Vihara founded a separate sect there. King Valagamba's reign is marked by an important event - the first schism in Buddhism in Ceylon. Most learned bhikkhus lives in Abhayagiri Vihara. It consisted of a large library. It is recorded that during the reigns of King Voharakatissa and King Gothabhaya this library was destroyed and the heretical monks driven away. King Parakramabahu renovated Abhayagiri Vihara, then the height is said to have been 140 cubit]s. In the year 1875, Abhayagiri Vihara which had a diameter of 307 feet (94 m) at its base, stood to a height of 231 feet (70 m). The relics of the Buddha are said to have been enshrined in a figure of a bull made out of thick gold.

  
Jetavanarama -
King Mahasen (273-301 AD) built this largest stupa in Ceylon, and possibly the whole world. A part of a sash tied by the Buddha is believed to be enshrined here. Its height is said to be 400 feet (120 m). This is considered as the largest stupa in the whole world. This stupa belongs to the Sagalika sect. The compound of the stupa is 8 acres (3 ha). One side of the stupa is 576 feet (176 m) in depth. The 4 flight of steps at the four sides is 28 feet (8.5 m) in depth. The doorpost to the shrine which is situated at the courtyard is 27 feet (8 m) in height. It is a foot (0.3 m) underground. There are some stone inscriptions in the courtyard with the names of donors inscribed.  

  
Mirisaveti Stupa -
King Dutugamunu after defeating King Elara, built the Mirisaveti Stupa. After placing the Buddha relics in the scepter, he had gone to Tisawewa for a bath leaving the scepter. After the bath he returned to the place where the scepter was placed, and it is said that it could not be moved. The stupa was built in the place where the scepter stood. It is also said that he remembered that he partook a chilly curry without offering it to the sangha. In order to punish himself he built the Mirisavetiya Dagaba. The extent of this land is about 50 acres (20 ha). Although the king Kasyapa I and Kasyapa V renovated this, from time to time it was dilapidated. What stands today is the renovation done by the cultural Triangle Fund.

  
Lankarama
was built by King Valagamba, in an ancient place at Galhebakada. Nothing is known about the ancient form of the stupa, and later this was renovated. The ruins show that there are rows of stone pillars and it is no doubt that there has been a house built encircling the stupa (vatadage) to cover it. The round courtyard of the stupa seems to be 10 feet (3 m) above the ground. The diameter of the stupa is 45 feet (14 m). The courtyard is circular in shape and the diameter is 1332 feet (406 m).  

  
Isurumuniya
is situated near Tisawewa and was built by King Devanampiyatissa to house 500 newly-ordained children of high caste. King Kasyapa I (473-491 AD) renovated this viharaya and named it as "Boupulvan, Kasubgiri Radmaha Vehera". This name is derived from names of his 2 daughters and his name. There is a viharaya connected to a cave and above is a cliff. A small stupa is built on it. It can be seen that the constructional work of this stupa belong to the present period. Lower down on both sides of a cleft, in a rock that appears to rise out of a pool, have been carved the figures of elephants. On the rock is carved the figure of a horse. The carving of Isurumuniya lovers on the slab has been brought from another place and placed it there. A few yards away from this vihara is the Magul Uyana.


The ancient Magul Uyana is situated close to Isurumuni Vihara and Tissawewa and contains several ponds. There are remains of small cells, seats made of stone steps, and taps of aesthetic sense. According to legend it is believed that Prince Saliya met Asokamala in this garden. The largest pond in this garden is 31 x 55 ft (9.5 x 17 m) in length and breadth. This is not a place of worship. [edit] Vessagiri About half a mile (1 km) to the south of Isurumuniya is situated Vessagiri on a mountains region. Scattered are 23 caves made of stone. Above the caves are inscribed the names of donors. These are the oldest inscriptions in Ceylon written in Brahmi script.

Rathna Prasadaya was built by Kng Kanittha Tissa who ruled Ceylon from 167-186 AD. It is known that during the 8th and 10th centuries Mihindu II and Mihindu IV renovated that building. The bhikkhus of the Tapovana belonging to the Pansakulika sect resided here. Beautiful guard stones of the Abhayagiri Viharaya were found here. The Queen's Palace, containing the largest and the most beautiful moonstones, is near Ratna Prasadaya.  

  
According to an inscription, the Dakkhina Stupa was constructed by Uttiya, a Minister of King Valagamba. For sometime by an error it was considered as Elara's tomb. King Kanittha Tissa had build an alms hall, King Gottabhaya built an uposathagaraya, where the bhikkhis assembled for the ceremony of confession, while King Agbo I constructed a large building. The Bhikkhus of the Sagalika sect resided here. The most popularly known fact is that this stupa was constructed on the tomb of King Dutugemunu. Human bones that were collected were sent to France and according to the scientific analysis it was revealed that these ashes belong to King Dutugemunu.


Sela Cetiya is one of the 16 main places of worship and is situated to the west of Jetavanaramaya. This was constructed by King Lajjitissa who ruled in the first century BC. The diameter of the base of the stupa is 37½ feet (11.4 m). This stupa has been given this name as the platform and stupa has been constructed in stone. A moonstone and guardstones can be seen here.

Naka Vihara is a square-shaped stupa built of bricks. This is constructed according to an unusual model and would have been similar to the 7 storeyed building (Satmahal Prasadaya) in Polonnaruwa. Excavations done in this place reveal that there were several clay caskets.      

Kiribath Vehera - The remains of this vihara shows that it is 30 feet (10 m) in height and the circumference is 425 feet (130 m). The date of construction and the king who built it, is unknown. In close proximity to this are the ruins of an image house. There is controversy whether the Pattamaka Chetiya built by King Devanampiyatissa is one and the same.

The most magnificent specimen of bathing tanks is the pair known as Kuttam Pokuna at Anuradhapura, near Abhayagiri Vihara. The garden which separates these 2 ponds is 18½ ft (5.6 m). The larger of this pair is 132 ft in length and 51 ft in breadth (40 by 15.5 m), while the smaller is 91 feet long, the breadth is the same (28 by 15.5 m). The depth of the smaller pond is 14 feet (4.3 m) and the larger pond is 18 feet (5.5 m). The sides and the bottom of the ponds were faced with well cut granite slabs. Round the pond is a magnificent wall. Leading to the pond are a beautiful flight of steps on both sides, and decorated with 'punkalas' and scroll design. There were underground ducts bringing water into these ponds and others emptying them. A wall is built to ageenclose the ponds, and inside it is a small compound.


Samadhi Statue in the Mahamevuna Park, is one of the best pieces of sculpture on the site. The statue is 8 feet (2.4 m) in height and made of granite and the Dhyana mudra is symbolished - The posture of meditation in which Buddha sits in the cross-legged position with upturned palms, placed one over the other on the lap. [edit] Toluwila Statue Which has a close resemblance to the Samadhi statue at Anuradhapura, was found among the ruins in a temple at Toluwila in Anuradhapura. It is 5'9" (1.75 m) in height. The gap between the knees is 5'9" (1.75 m). The width between the shoulders is 3'5" (1.04 m). At present this statue is placed near the main entrance to the Colombo Museum.

Aukana Buddha Statue - Near the village of Avukana located in Anuradhapura ,The tallest Budha statue in Srilnanka carved out fro a granite cliff 12 miters high ,Its belived that the statue was construcated in the 5th centaury during King Dhatusena ,Though its 1000 years old its extremely in good condication and details still very sharp and clear finesse and grace.In the sacred city of Anuradhapura and in the vicinity are a large number of other ruins. These have not been identified properly and many have been destroyed either by Tamil invaders or by vandals. Neither tourists nor pilgrims havepaid much attention to these ruins and information regarding this is meager.

Mihintale – Where Buddhism Blossomed in Srilanka Mihintale is only 12 km away from the famous Anuradhapura city. The sacred forest mountain Missaka Pabbatha where King Devanampiya Tissa met Arhat Mahinda Thera and his companions is situated in Mihintale. Prior to that the Lord Gautama Buddha had visited this place on his Third visit which was called as Missaka Pabbatha then. Being one of the sixteen places (Solosmasthana) the Lord Buddha had visited in Sri Lanka, this is regarded as one of the most important sacred places by the Buddhists in Sri Lanka.The area of Mihintale surrounds with a jungle and there are rock boulders scattered around the mountainous area. There are many caves which were earlier used by monks for meditation in a quite surrounding away from the main city of Anuradhapura.There is abundance of ancient stone architecture surrounding the many Stupas, monastic complexes and other sacred places.

Asoka the Emperor of India who became victorious after fighting a long war was disillusioned and sought Buddha's refuge to heal up his inner self. Becoming an ardent Buddhist, he let his son and the daughter be ordained as a Bhikku and a Bhikkuni (Buddhist priest and a nun named Mahinda and Sangamitta) whom later became Arhats.

Arhath Mahinda and his companions came to Sri Lanka as a delegation sent by Arahath Moggali Putta Tissa with the patronage of Emperor Asoka on the 236 th year of the Buddha parinirvana.

The Sinhalese architecture, paintings and sculpture were a result of the Buddhism which nourished these throughout the centuries that followed.

Mihintale architectural feats are mainly visible in Kanthaka Chetiya Vahalkada, Alms Hall, Ancient Stairway, Kalu Diya Pokuna and at Ancient Hospital.

Day 05 & 06

Travel to Polonnaruwa (2 nights stay)

Polonnaruwa

 Polonnaruwa City the second great capital of Srilanka about km to the south east , Its prominence as the capital lasted for 300 years in the 13th century Polonnaruwa was attacked by Indian Invanders decades of invasion and civil wars kings gradually shifted thre capital towards south west Anuradhapura ,The Ancient city is designated as World Hertage site by UNESCO,Today the Ancient sites of Polonnaruwa is one of the best planned archeological sites in the country the greatness of the kingdoms first rulers.

The sea of Parkarama ( Parakarama Samudraya)

This reservoir is possible Polonnaruwa most impressive feature it was construcated during the rule of King Parakramabahu in the late 12th century This reservoir cover more than 22 square Kilometers.

Pothgul Vehera Statue (Statue of King Parakramabahu)

The carved statue is about 11 1/2 feet (3.5 meters) carved to a rock belived to be King Parakramabuhu statue.

Pothgul Vehera (Pothgul Temple)

A budhist temple library where Buddhist writing were studied,The brick building has 4 stages on 3th stage has 9 buildings is over 800 years built by king  Parakramabahu  (1153-1186) some paintings  on walls are visable.

 

Dalada Maluwa

Area  in the Polonnaruwa  sacred city many Buddhist Buildings are situated - The entrance to the Dalada Maluwa is through stone steps people come to worship the tooth relic.

Gal Viharaya (Rock Temple)

This magnificent group of statues was built by king Parakramabahu (1153-1186) and was a part of the Uthararama.

The first statue you will come across is a seated Buddha in meditation. He is seated on a lotus. The rock behind the statue is decorated with carvings of "vimana". Four smaller Buddha statues can be seen on these decorations.

Next is a smaller statue of Buddha (about 15 feet high) carved in to the rock. On the sides of the statue are two deities. It is believed this carving represent the Buddha’s visit to heaven called “Thusitha” to preach to his mother.

It is said that this statue was painted with pure gold and treasure hunters have burnt logs on the statue and melted the gold.

Third is a standing statue of Buddha. This has been disputed by some and think this is the statue of Ananda thero at the site of lord Buddha’s passing away. This 23 feet tall statue is thought to be done by a later king as the chronicles talk about only two statues in the seating position and one statues e on the lying position which was done by King Parakramabahu (1153-1)

Next and the last is a massive statue of Buddha passing way. This is 80 feet long. The ear lid falling along the body, One foot slightly behind the other (The toes are not positioned equally on the feet ) are signs that this is not Lord Buddha resting but at his death. 

Sigiriya

The Ancient Monastic Cave Complex and the Rock Boulder Garden

Before Sigiriya became a Kingdom, Buddhist monks used the many caves for dwelling, dating back to the 3rd Century BC. Later when King Kassapa's made Sigiriya his kingdom, these caves were used for other purposes. Some of these caves have paintings done at the same period as the famous Sigiriya Frescoes. These areas which have numerous rock boulders were landscaped to give an appearance of a Rock Boulder Garden during the King's rein.


Dambulla

Vist the Golden Rock Temple There are numerous cave temples the golden rock temple is must visit There are more than100 Buddha statues including some kings ,murals painting on the walls depicting scences of Buddha life covering a 2100 square feet.

Day 07

Travel to kandy (1 Night stay)

The city of Kandy first established in 14th century resisted many invasions by Portuguese and Dutch, Kandy remained the last independent Capital of Srilanka still considered the religious and cultural centre of the country numerous temples and monasteries Buddhist Collages.


The Lankatatilanka Temple

Is known for traditional Singhalese architecture built in 1344.

The Embekke Devale

Construcated in the 14th century famous its wooden strucature and intricate wood carving.

The Temple of the Tooth- Sri Dalada Maligawa

The most famous attraction in kandy,The Buddha Tooth was first bought to Kandy during the reign of Vimaladharmasuriya 1 in the 17th century He built a Temple to house the relic .Portuguese Invasions it was taken away recovered with rule of King Rajasinha 11.

The present Temple of the Tooth was built in the 18th Centuary  by king Vira Narendra Sinah The Tooth is kept in a two storey building covered with a golden canopy ,fronted by a set of huge Elephant Tusk – The Replica of the Tooth in a betiful caskets is displayed once a year during Esala Perahera.

Aluvihara- The cave Temple

52 kilometers north of Kandy is a small cave Temple highly signifance to the history of Buddhisam , During the 1st Century BC.

Sri Pada (Adam’s Peak)

Climbing Season –December and July Only-Suppliment Charge Addeded  December -July

About 122 km East of Colombo is the Scraded Mountain Sri Pada Situvated on the Southern reaches of the Centeral Highlands 2243 meters above sea leavel ,most reserved sight for consicered for Not only Buddhissam also Christians,Muslim Hindus ,On the top mountain Slab of rock belive to be Buddha foot print Some belive it’s the foot print of Adam  or for Hindus foot print of Shiva.

climbing starts in the night witnessing the magical sunrise on Sri Pada the whole trek takes five to six hours.

Day 08

Colombo - Kiribathgoda (1 Night stay at star class Hotel)

Located on the west coast of the Island Colombo the Capital City a Commerical Hub was admistrated by the Portuguiese ,Dutch and British Ruled the Capital till 1980.

Prominent temples in Colombo : Kelaniya Temple, Bellanwila Temple ,Gangarama Temple.

Kelaniya Temple – Kelaniya Raja Maha Viharaya

The Ancient Buddhist Temple nearest to Colombo.

Bellanwila Temple

Much More than a temple.This village has become the cynosure of all – Buddhist – non Buddhist, locals and foreigners – because of the Bellanwila Rajamaha Viharaya located therein. This temple is considered a place of great sanctity and veneration. And this is mainly due to its sacred Bodhi tree.

Historical records reveal that this Bodhi – tree is one of the 32 saplings that sprang from the sacted Bodhi – tree at Anuradhapura planted in the 3rd century B.C. The 32 saplings were distributed throughout the Island over 2000 years ago, and the one at Bellanwila temple is one of these 32 saplings.

Gangaramaya Temple

The Gangarama Temple located beside a bo tree on the waters of Beira lake is a Buddhist temple containing many statues and antiques. It is accessible via a wooden.

You will depart on the 8th day after the Colombo Religious tour or on the 9th day depending on the flight details

Includes

Tour include

  • Accommodations sharing twin
  • Meals on half board basis (breakfast & dinner )
  • Air-conditioned private transport
  • English speaking chauffeur-guide

Tour exclude

  • Camera and video permits
  • All Entrance Fees
  • All Expenses of personal Nature
  • Any Expenses not mentioned above
  • Any other entrance fees not mentioned above
  • Tips and Portages
  • Travel Insurance

Visa processing fee. Please refer to www.eta.gov.lk